Thursday, August 25, 2005

Surgery Avoided (for now) - and We're Home!

Kyle is home, playing - and doing great. Some of the tests revealed that he is not aspirating, rather his stomach is very slow to empty - and causing him to more or less explode. The typical medicinal route is Reglan or erythromycin. Reglan is NOT the couse we intend on following, due to serious, irreversible side-effects in long term use studies (neurological damage). In addition, it's not been tested or recommended for use on children - or for long-term use for that matter! Ugh, don't get me started on reglan, it makes me sick to think of what doctors will knowingly prescribe to children without fully disclosing the risks.

So, needless to say, we'll be going with erythromycin. Kyle's scheduled to meet with his GI dr next week, but should have the script tomorrow. His GI doctor is not affiliated with Loyola, and we wanted to remain under his care for the remaining GI issues that Kyle has.

Should the medicine not work, we will be again facing surgery.

Also important to note - Kyle is back to his baseline of oxygen (1/8 litre at night, nothing during the day), and otherwise back to his happy - overly talkative self :)

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers during this time.

6 Comments:

At 8/26/2005 12:50 PM, Blogger Becky said...

Hi Katra!

I am a member of HCTS. I'm glad that Kyle is better and back home. I have been reading your updates and a lot of it really hits home. Thanks for putting your thought and feelings into words. I am praying for Kyle!

 
At 8/27/2005 10:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Katra
That is GREAT NEWS! :) Im really glad he is doing so well. He is a real trooper and a fighter.

May God continue to watch over your family.

 
At 8/27/2005 12:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Katra,

I was on the pregnancy boards with you at WebMD (duejan2604 was my screen name). I rememeber you, partially bc I live in Downers Grove and was heartbroken when you lost Konner. A few months ago someone posted this site on WebMD for those of us who wanted to catch up. I am so glad they did. I wish you and your family the best. You may be the strongest woman I know and you really put things in perspective for those of us with healthy kids. When my son colors on the walls, it just doesn't seem *that* important.

 
At 8/29/2005 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Katra!

I am so glad to read that Kyle is back home! As always Kyle is in my thoughts and prayers.

Sutey
(IBH)

 
At 9/01/2005 7:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Katra...just stopping by to say that I have been thinking of you and Kyle. HOpe all is well and HUGS to you both!!

Kiley

 
At 9/10/2005 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Katra. I was looking for an old post on an old NICU forum and came across your link to your blog. The post was over a year old already, but I have wondered about you and Kyle so many times in the last year, so I hoped you were still blogging away. You may not realize it, but you were such an important source of support for me during my pregnancy.

Anyhow...I see Kyle's had some challenges (I'm sure that's putting it mildly) but that he is continuing to overcome everything he faces. It's just so incredible to know where he came from and to see where he is now. If anyone can claim a miracle, you and Karl definately can. I saw a photo of him playing in his nursery and I couldn't believe it was the same baby I used to see in your avatar! He is absolutely undeniably a gorgeous little boy!! He's grown so much! And to see him with no canula...wow! I can't even fathom how much pride you two must feel.

Sorry for a long comment, but I just wanted you to know how well remembered both you and Kyle are. Kyle is in my thoughts...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home