Thursday, September 30, 2004

Hitting the Curve at Record Pace!

It seems my little guy is not so little any more! He just keeps amazing us at his record growth. Typically babies follow a growth curve, but Kyle seems to be shooting straight up, instead of following the line. We are being tracked on a VLBW (very low birth weight/ less than 1200 grams at birth) Boys chart, based on his corrected age. The Doctor joked that we may need to move him to the LBW chart next month, if he continues at this pace. Keep in mind, that when Kyle came home - he wasn't even close to ranking in the 3% tile category. As a matter of fact, he was so low on the length chart - that he was overlapping the weight graph just below it.

Here are his stats:

  • Weight: 16lb 9oz (85%)
  • Height: 23.5 inches (30%)
  • Head Circ: 41cm (35%)
  • Feeding: 4 2/3oz 6x/day

We also pulled him off of all his nebs and puffers 2.5 weeks ago (which upset the pulmonologist), within 2 days his oxygen requirement dropped from 2 1/4 litres to .75-1 litre, and he began taking his bottle. She said he sounds clear and looks good, so I guess all wasn't as bad as she made it out to be.

I had been researching his meds and found that the Flovent causes a sore throat and eating averssion (more pain in swollowing), and that the nebs - being stimulants, can also have adverse reactions if you are allergic to them. We already no Kyle is allergic to caffiene, a stimulant, and some of my relatives are allergic to albuterol - more specifically when used regularly. So, I keep the puffer on me for emergency sake (but haven't had to use it yet).


3 Comments:

At 9/30/2004 2:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Katra. Glad to hear that Kyle is doing well. We miss you on IBH so I thought I would stop in here to see how you all are doing.

Kiley

 
At 10/18/2004 9:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Katra,

They just posted this link on webmd parenting, so I thought I'd check in and see how Kyle's doing. (I used to read all your posts on 2nd tri I was about a month behind you). I'm so glad to hear Kyle's doing so well I am so happy for you!! He's about as big as my Gracie--she was born May 5th and is almost 16 lbs 26 inches. My best friend's fiance's brother's wife gave birth to a 24 weeker back in June, but sadly he only lived a month. You really do have a miracle baby!
Take care,
Kathymarie

 
At 11/17/2004 10:10 PM, Blogger RB said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home